Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner, practitioner, Owner at Hilo Veterinary Clinic, Inc, Vetmed Hawaii
90005502

My 13 y/old English Bulldog has had a growth off her elbow 2

Customer Question

My 13 y/old English Bulldog has had a growth off her elbow for approx 2 yrs. It was stale the entire time. I am concerned because it has double in size within 10 days.
\At first I was not concerned because I thought it might like those ucky. benign, red, circular things that older people seem to develop.
it is black, 24cmx12, thicker on too, thinner towards the bottom. Actually looks like a canine tooth.
I almost liken it to those red, raised growths, we at a, ahem certain age, develop.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 1 year ago.

Hello, My name is***** and I am going to help you. I understand why you are concerned with it doubling in size. I need to know more. Was it soft to begin with? How about now? Soft or hard? Was it always black or just now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is soft and pliable. Also, when I palmate it, Emma does not respond.., so it seems to not cause her pain. I am just alarmed by how much it grew within the past week
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has always been black.

It is most likely a benign skin growth. These are usually black, soft and on areas that get rubbed like the elbows. It should be alright. However of it suddenly gets firm or changes color I would recommend seeing your vet.

Give Emma a pat from me.

I hope that I have been able to reassure you.

Please rate this service. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I just leave it, rather than have it removed? I am guessing, "yes".
May I as, as I am an RN, what is the technical name for it?

Considering Emma's age and the fact that it isn't bothering her, I would not remove it.

It is a benign skin growth. To definitely know which kind would require surgery and a histopathologic exam. In a human it would probably be called a skin tag. Thank you for letting me help you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Marta Lepes