Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 12 year old Daschund is shivering but panting

Customer Question

My 12 year old Daschund is shivering but panting excessively. He's usually warm natured and doesn't get under a blanket. He's pawing at me. I can't tell what's wrong.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
I am sorry to hear that your fellow is panting more then usual, and seems needier then usual.

Is he unable to stop panting or is he panting on and off and seems restless?
Is he eating normally today?
Is he drinking and urinating noticeably more than usual?
If you look at his gums and tongue are they bubble gum pink in color, white or gray?

Panting can be a sign of pain, lack of oxygen or anxiety.
If his gum color is nice and pink then I suspect that his panting is related to pain, and most commonly it is related to abdominal pain/an upset stomach. Because he is a Dachshund we can't completely rule out back pain, but those dogs are usually moving differently too, they may move stiffly or refuse to jump or climb stairs, and your history didn't mention anything about those sorts of changes.

If his gum color is normal to try and settle his stomach today you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. They can be given for several days if necessary.

I would not feed him any food for 12 hours after the acid reducers are started. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility.
Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as he needs fluids.

After his food fast start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) of canned pumpkin to each meal if you are seeing loose stools with mucous in his stool as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.

Once he feels better start mixing in his regular dog food very slowly. Less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert him back.

If your fellow begins vomiting and feeling poorly though it would be best that he see a veterinarian as anything you give him orally will just come back up making him dehydrated.

Best of luck with your pup, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's panting on and off. He gets hot normally so his wanting to be under the blanket for awhile then shivering is new thing. He's had a few bites of food and I watched him drink a little but his behavior has been normal until about an hour ago.
His gums are pink though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm very cautious with his back and jumping too. He hasn't been injured.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His RR is 62 breaths/minute
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I'm glad to hear that his color is good. I suspect that his snuggling under the blanket is more of a comfort thing rather than really being cold.

If you have one of the acid reducers available I would give it. They are very safe medications and if he has an upset stomach he should feel much better in a couple hours. If he feels better after that then you know this is related to stomach upset.