Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My dog is not eating or drinking and a clear thick mucous is

Customer Question

My dog is not eating or drinking and a clear thick mucous is coming out of his mouth what can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Bobby is having drooling this evening.

Can you examine his mouth? Can you pry it open and look at the upper jaw as well as between the teeth?

Is there anything that he could have eaten such as trash, plants, bugs, etc that could be very irritating to the mouth or cause nausea?

Drooling in dogs is usually because of eating something that tastes really bad or nausea. Nausea can be from eating something irritating to the intestines or possibly pancreatitis, colitis, intestinal parasites, and others.

Lastly some toxins can cause drooling such as slug bait.
If the oral exam is normal, I would recommend giving a Pepcid 30mg (1.5 adult human tablets). If the drooling is from nausea, this will hopefully help.

If Bobby starts vomiting, you will need to consider taking him to the local animal emergency room this evening.

If he is still drooling or won't eating in the morning, you should take him to see your regular vet in the morning.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I can't I'm working, But my daughter told me that he have spots inside his mouth (dark purple)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my daughter also let me know that he was outside near the trash ūüėě What can I do?
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Could the spots be pigmentation? Some dogs will have normal black/dark purple spots in the mouth. Are the spots raised so do they look like part of the normal flesh inside the mouth?

Can your daughter give him some Pepcid this evening? If you don't have any of that, she can also try Tums, one table. That may also help. Peptobismol doesn't seem to help dogs, so I wouldn't bother with that.

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

*or not so in the second sentance

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your dog this evening? Any more drooling? Did she eat breakfast today?

Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dog is having a seizure.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

A seizure right now?!? Has she had seizures in the past? What is the behavior that looks like a seizure?

Do you have a local animal emergency room near you that you can take Bobby to this evening?

Dr. A

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately we don't have a Er for dogs I live in Florence OR a very small town
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Is he still seizing? Is this his first seizure or has he had many in the past?

Do not try to touch him or comfort him. He is unconscious and may accidently bite you. Just allow him to lay on his side where he cannot injure himself and wait for him to wake up.

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Bobby this morning? Any more seizures?

Do you have any more questions for me?

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bobby. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar