Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I have an 11 yr old toy fox terrier. At around 4am she got I

Customer Question

I have an 11 yr old toy fox terrier. At around 4am she got I to a bag of fast food and are 3 chicken sandwiches and 2 large fries. She weighs 7lbs. When I woke up at 10am, her belly was disstended and she was clearly in pain. I took her to my vet. They took X-rays and noted the food was still in the stomach (about 7 hours after she ate it). They kept her all day, gave her a shot to induce vomiting and laxatives. Neither really got things moving too much so they have her an enema, which caused her to have a little diarrhea (orange-ish with a little blood). That is how she was when I picked her up, stomach still enlarged and a little diarrhea. Now, the diarrhea is just blood (pink-ish like it has water in it). I need to know whether I should take her to the emergency vet. She is drinking water and acting alert, just doesn't have too much energy.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Vega was so naughty and ate your food.

My first thought after hearing about what she over-indulged in is that she has developed pancreatitis. Pancreatitis in dogs is very often directly linked to a high fat meal.

The following is a link to an in depth discussion on pancreatitis in dogs.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2214

This condition can be very painful and can cause abnormal motility of the intestines.

The next possibility is that the high fat food was very irritating to her colon and that is what has caused the bloody diarrhea. Bloody diarrhea in dogs is caused by irritation to the colon, not a burst blood vessel like in humans.

Both of these conditions are very serious medical conditions and I would strongly consider taking her to the local animal emergency room this evening for care.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Hi!

How is Vega this evening? Any vomiting or diarrhea? Did you take her to the vet today?

Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda