Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My Yorker had a tic with a sack on it on her neck looks like

Customer Question

My Yorker had a tic with a white sack on it on her neck looks like is been on for a bit it's now 10 pm no vet available what should I do I have Vasaline on her now she is 6 had her yearly tic shit but hasn't had her frontline since sept help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yearly Tic shot
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Do you still have the frontline available that you can apply tonight? This will help allow the tick to detach, especially being on her neck and close to the area where the frontline is applied...

I would not advise removing the tick at home, you are more likely to leave the head in her neck and then it can bury itself and cause an infection so please just leave the area alone tonight and minimize her scratching if you are able. Tomorrow morning please get her into your regular vet who can remove it safely. Vaseline will not be helpful in removing the tick or prevent infection...

But if you can apply the frontline tonight then that would be strongly advised

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Won't be able to get to vet for at least another 12 hours
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I should clean off the Vasaline first ?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Yes I understand, I really would not advise removing the tick at home, as I said you are likely to leave the head behind and not advised because it will get infected.

Do you have frontline at home you can apply?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

You can definitely wipe off the vaseline

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

If the tick is engorged and buried then it has been present for more than 24 hours at this point (more likely 48+ hours) so an additional 12 hours will be alright to wait to be safe in this situation

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Does this information make sense? Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are her chances of lymes disease hopefully slim with her shot I applied frontline to the area
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She seams ok just nervousness from me being nervousness was reading on paralytic tic hopefully that's not what it is
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Very low if she is current on the vaccination but ticks do carry other viruses besides Lyme's so your vet will determine what type of tic it is based on your area and whether further actions such as antibiotics are warranted.

You don't need to put the frontline directly on the area but on her back as per the instructions...

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I'm sure that it is uncomfortable but your worries are worrying her too! Dogs, especially little ones like yours thrive on our energy and it can make her anxious. I have two little ones and they definitely know when I am concerned about them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did apply it to the area n her back neck the tic is on her rear upper neck about 3 inches below her right ear hopefully I didn't water the application
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Waste
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

That should help, the tick might detach on its own overnight as a result

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am online another few minutes before exiting for the evening, can I clarify anything further before I go?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks a bunch just wanted to make sure this was not a 911 situation after I read take it out now or my dog will die if it was a paralytic tic or something
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I completely understand, it sounds like it is engorged and has been there for a few days already... but definitely keep an eye on her tonight!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I look for?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Just that she is resting comfortably. Recommend a veterinary er when/ if:

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration
- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it
- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable
- Swollen abdomen
- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest
- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5
- No interest in food for 24+ hours
- No urination for 12+ hours
- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour
- Productive coughing
- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks again doc
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, best of luck to you both!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am signing off for the night, good luck to you and Maci!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, I was checking in to see if you were able to get Maci to the vet today? Was the tick removed? I would love an update when you are able and would appreciate you rating at the top of the screen so that I can be compensated for our conversation yesterday. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ray,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Maci. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman