Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is acting very weak and is falling over.

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The various causes of collapse would fill the space in this venue but whatever that cause may be, Sparky's collapsing should be considered a serious and possible life-threatening symptom and prompt having him attended to by his vet at your earliest convenience. Findings that may directly assist the diagnosis include pallor (pale mucous membranes of the tongue, gums, e.g.), ascites (fluid in the abdomen as evidenced by bloating), tachycardia (rapid heart rate) or bradycardia (slow heart rate), inspiratory or expiratory dyspnea (difficulty breathing), abnormalities of proprioception (knowing where one's limbs are in space), neurologic abnormalities (tics, tremors, seizures), muscle atrophy, and muscle, joint, or bone pain. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish but I'd rather you were on your way to a vet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The odd thing is he acts completely normal when I take him outside. He returns to his normal self, has strength and runs like normal. His breathing is normal, his tongue and his gums are pink and look healthy, his ears look clear and same as they always look, his poop is solid and looks like it has for the last few days, he is trying to pee but nothing seems to come out. He isn't eating or drinking so I have been giving him water via syringe and he seems to be taking it fine. When he did eat he vomited a dark yellowish/orange bile with some of the chicken and rice that he ate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, there is no noticeable bloating. His stomach actually looks very normal and flat.

Thank you for the additional information. His not eating or drinking is worrisome if only because Addison's disease can result in both gastrointestinal distress and collapse. His attempts to pee with no results suggest lower urinary tract infection or obstruction with uroliths (stones). Arrhythmias (irregular heart rates) are often episodic as you've described but aren't expected to cause his GI or urinary signs. He's a puzzlement but a thorough physical exam should sort out why he's collapsing.

Hi Kim,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sparky. How is everything going?