Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

9 week old maltipoo has terrible tear stains. Any way to

Customer Question

9 week old maltipoo has terrible tear stains. Any way to treat this? Would daily washing eliminate stains?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your pup's tear problem! Has she ever had an exam of her eyes done? Some dogs this is a lifelong problem, but sometimes there is an underlying cause.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Here is an article on excessive tears (called Epiphora): http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=654

It would be a good idea to get his eyes looked at to see if there are any abnormal eyelashes that could be causing the irritation, in which case the eyelash can be removed by laser or freezing therapy and the problem may resolve. The vet can also test if the nasolacrimal duct is flowing normally by putting a special stain in the eye and seeing if it flows out through the nasolacrimal duct into the nostrils. If it is not, then this is the reason for the tears and it will likely not resolve without surgery (if then).

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

At the bottom of the article I linked to are several different things to try for tear staining of the eyes. Whether or not they are truly successful is up for debate! I haven't had anyone use them consistently to say whether they truly worked or not, but they may be worth a try if you are in love with the dog!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking to see if you got my answer and if you had any other questions about the puppy?