Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Type your Dog Veterinary question hhe is 5 weeks old and he

Customer Question

Type your Dog Veterinary question hhe is 5 weeks old and he cant go to poo
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian, and I would like to help you today.

How long has it been since he passed stool?

Is he straining? Does his belly look distended or hard?

What are you feeding him just now? Is he with his mum or on a bottle?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Since I have not heard back from you, I do want to leave my thoughts for your return. Now since Luddy is young, we do need to tread with care here. We can see constipation related to what is being fed but there is always a concern about blockages (from non-edible items he may have eaten, from worms, or even from the gut occluding itself). Therefore, if you do see any pain, paling gums, tensing of the belly, or we cannot get him passing stool with the treatments I will outline for you; then we'd want to have a check with his vet to make sure that those other issues are not a worry for him.

With that all in mind, to start, we can try giving him a small dose of cat hair ball treatment. This will lubricate his gut to help this to pass. It can be mixed into solid wet food if you have already weaned him or it can be added to a bottle if he is still on milk. (Though if he is on a bottle, then we'd also want to water that down to help dissolve any milk blockages). And in both cases, if he is not drinking well, then we can gently give him water or unflavored Pedialyte by mouth to help keep his hydration up (since dehydration can worsen constipation).

Further to these, if he is really struggling, then we can also add a GI lubricant to his food. Over the counter examples we can use include Lactulose, Miralax, or food grade mineral oil. Just to note, we want to give this in food and not directly by mouth since we'd want to avoid any risk of aspiration for him.

Overall, constipation at this age is not uncommon. Therefore, we'd want to try the above for your wee one at this point. Of course, if you try these and don't get him passing stool within the next 8-12 hours or if he is straining/sore, then we'd want to consider having his vet check him. If needed, they can give him a gentle enema to help clear any fecal blockages and help you get him back to passing stool as he should.

I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Luddy. How is everything going?
nekovet