Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog has sliced in-between s paw pads in the skin part and

Customer Question

Hi my dog has sliced in-between his paw pads in the skin part and is licking constantly and limping on it. It's not bleeding but seeping abit and sticky could this be an infection is there any treatment can do at home or take him vets? Thanks Sarah
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Troy has managed to slice open the webbing between his toes and is licking and limping.

This is a tough area to heal because every time he steps on it the pressure from his body weight splays the toes and wound edges apart, which will interfere with the wound edges being able to come together and heal properly.

If it were actively bleeding that would actually be better as that would flush out the bacteria he is introducing by licking.

But because he is licking and it has a sticky discharge I am concerned there is at least a mild infection present. Ideally he would see his veterinarian to have the wound debrided, stitched and a restrictive, support bandage put on so his toes are kept together which would decrease stress on the wound. All of this will speed healing and get rid of infection.

While these wounds do sometimes heal without surgery it is a long process and requires daily cleaning and bandage changes, and possibly antibiotics depending upon how it looks now.

The most important things are to keep him from licking and to protect the wound so it doesn't get worse or dirty and infected.

First I would soak his foot in an Epsom salt bath for a good 10 minutes. Then flush his foot with cool water after the bath to remove any remaining salt and debris. Dry the paw well. Do not allow him to lick the Epsom salts as that can lead to nausea and diarrhea.

In the house you can cover the wound with a telfa pad (nonstick gauze pad) with antibacterial ointment like Neosporin or Polysporin on it over the area which will cover the wound. Secure the Telfa pad with loosely wrapped gauze and put a snug fitting clean sock over the gauze, secured at the top above his paw with masking tape. Masking tape is great because it's hard to wrap too tightly, thus less chance of cutting off circulation to the foot, and it sticks to fur but not too much, so it is easily removed without tearing out fur. Do make sure it is wrapped securely though so it isn't slipping.
When he goes outdoors make sure to put a plastic baggie over the sock so the foot/quick doesn't get wet.
If his paw gets wet remove the sock and dry it gently.
The bandage must be changed daily, or immediately if it gets wet.

Since he is licking at his foot place an elizabethan (lampshade) collar so it doesn't get traumatized or infected and he doesn't eat the bandage material.

You can try this home treatment for a few days and see how he comes along. If you see that his foot is swollen, or there is any sort of green or yellow discharge or a foul odor, or he is refusing to walk of his foot then he needs to see his veterinarian for an examination and further treatment.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.