Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has lost 1.8 pounds in weight and is eating very

Customer Question

My dog has lost 1.8 pounds in weight and is eating very little food; vet says gallbadder operation of $1200 is required for my 15 year old daschund to feel better. What is alternative for old dog going under the knife
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I understand your reticence to have such an elderly dog undergo anethesia and surgery however I need to know more about her gallbladder and concomitant conditions to be more accurate for you. For example, if there were a stone obstructing her common bile duct there might not be alternative to surgery but if her gallbladder contained a mucocoel or were simply infected, conservative therapy with a systemic antibiotic and bile salt (to promote bile flow) might suffice. Can you upload a copy of her latest test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't. Can you tell me, too, if an abdominal ultrasound has been performed and, if so, can you upload the ultrasound report to our conversation as well?