Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog is a year and a half, female pitbull. The last 2

Customer Question

My dog is a year and a half, female pitbull. The last 2 nights she has woken up early morning (5 am one night, 3 am the next) and thrown up a yellowish liquid - not really much food. She has been active and seems normal the last 2 days besides this. I've
read that she may not be getting enough food. I usually feed her once a day when I get home from work around 4:30. Should I try splitting her food into 2 feedings - like 4:30 pm and 8:30 pm or should I go ahead and take her to the vet now?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she lethargic?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She played all day yesterday with another dog - very active. So she has been sleeping more than usual but her day yesterday was much busier than usual. So I wouldn't say she is lethargic.
She weights about 45 pounds and has no other symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions, this is not related to getting enough food. Common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep her indoors in a cool room; no running or playing when fasting.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She hasn't thrown up at all during the day and has eaten/drank normally. So giving her a small amount of water in 8 hours and seeing if she keeps it down won't help. She drank water an hour ago and has been fine. She just wakes up early morning, throws up bile and goes back to sleep. No throwing up during the day or of food.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello there, I am sorry to hear about your pup. If she is only vomiting in the very early morning and you have only been feeding her once daily, it is possible that she is suffering from something called bilious vomiting syndrome. These can be found in some dogs who are having an empty stomach for too long, which is why your case makes me think of it. There is an article about the condition here: http://www.petmd.com/blogs/nutritionnuggets/dr-coates/2014/june/feeding-dog-vomits-every-day-31825

You can usually help this situation by changing the way you feed your dog. This would involve dividing up her normal food into several meals, including one right before you go to bed, and another as soon as you wake up in the morning.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

If, however, despite this, your dog continues to vomit, or if the vomiting starts to happen at other times of the day, she develops lethargy, inappetance, diarrhea, etc., then this may not be her problem and she will need to be seen by your vet. I hope this information helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just wondering if you saw my response about the bilious vomiting syndrome and if you had any questions???