Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have two puppys that are 4 months old and are both sick

Customer Question

Hi i have two puppys that are 4 months old and are both sick not eating only small amounts of dierihea little vomiting one has stopped drinking the other hasn't the worst one is at the vet they tested for parvo negative the other i am treating at home and my vet doesn't know what it is so far nothing has shown up in test there is a bit of blood mucus in the poo..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello,this is Dr. Jess. I am so sorry to hear about your puppies. Can you tell me if they had any vaccines yet, and how many they have already received? Has your vet looked at the stool for intestinal parasites such as coccidia and giardia in addition to worms?

It is possible that if they ran an in house parvo test, they could have had a false negative result. The test is pretty specific (a positive result is likely positive) but not always sensitive enough to pick up every case of parvo. Some of this can depending on the amount of sample, timing of sample, etc. You can read a little more about that here:http://www.aspcapro.org/resource/shelter-health-animal-care-disease-management/diagnosing-and-treating-parvovirus

Are they both on antivomiting medication, fluids, and antibiotics???