Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

6 week old lab puppy, given 1st shot 2 days ago, has runny

Customer Question

6 week old lab puppy, given 1st shot 2 days ago, has runny stool and raspy breathing. the raspy breathing is not constant. It did vomit once but not much. no blood in stool or vomit.
please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr RB:) Because he is so young, I think your puppy needs to be seen this morning to treat for vomiting and diarrhea and determine its source (e.g. intestinal parasites, gastroenteritis, GI foreign body, Parvoviral infection). Also,there is some concern from your description, that when your puppy vomited, he may have aspirated some of the vomit into his airway, causing the raspy breathing. This can be very serious and lead to pneumonia. A chest x-ray could have distinguish this from other sources of raspy breathing such as esophagitis or obstruction. With little guys, I like to ere on the side of caution and go ahead and take them in.. I hope this is helpful to you.

Hello again, I hope your puppy is feeling better..If my advice helped, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks