Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Can I send a picture of my dogs foot? Strange dark spot that

Customer Question

Can I send a picture of my dogs foot? Strange dark spot that makes him limp on it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I can help you with your dog this evening. Just use the paperclip button at the top of your typing box to attach the picture to this conversation.

Also, how long have the spots been there? Are they painful when you touch them? Are they only on one paw?

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Spot has been there for about 3 weeks. Yes it's painful and he has a hard time walking on it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only on 1 paw
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Were you able to attach a picture?

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

I am getting ready to log off for the night. I am going to opt out of this question so that another expert can help you if you are able to post a picture of the skin spots.

Have a good evening,

Dr. A

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Amanda for you. Can you upload a photo to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see a paper clip icon? I would like to send a picture.

You'll need to use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com or have***@******.*** help you do it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did the pictures make it?

Yes, but from the angle they were taken I can't tell if the black spot is in the skin (pigment), on the skin (a scab), or how it might affect your dog. How old is your dog? Is he chewing at this spot? Is it enlarging?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Murphy is 4 yrs old a English Shepard. He started limping on the left back foot 2 weeks now. I found a spot on the side of paw. He isn't trying to lick it. Probably can't reach the paw.

Thank you. Does that spot feel like a scab to you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does actually.

Thank you. If the scab is covering a wound such as a scrape or abrasion it might well be associated with bruising, swelling, and other soft tissue injury such as sprain or strain - all of which can result in your dog's lameness. Assessing the extent of injury is the most difficult thing I can do from here, however. I'm concerned that he's been lame for 3 weeks which usually indicates structural damage that needs to be identified and treated appropriately. That may entail a prescription nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam and/or an antibiotic if his vet thinks there's infection associated with that scab. Surgical intervention is a possibility if an abscess has formed under that scab or nearby. Please continue our conversation if you wish.