Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My toy dog 10 years old looks pregnant and stomache is hard

Customer Question

My toy dog 10 years old looks pregnant and stomache is hard Why?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Cleo's appearance has changed. I am going to ask a few more questions so that I can help you and Cleo this evening.

Has her stomach started looking distended and hard just this evening or this something that has come on gradually? Is she spayed? How is her water drinking? Any changes? Is she jumping on and off furniture normally? Any change in eating, vomiting or diarrhea?

Please let me know the answers to these questions so that I can help you this evening.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cleo eats good, does not appear to be sick,has a collapsed trachea,also is taking me heart meds for enlarged heart. She sleeps a lot drinks plenty of water,unable to jump on couch or sofa. No vomiting or diarrhea. She has been spayed. Her stomach is gradually getting bigger and hard.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Okay, thanks for the additional information. This is very helpful.

Based on your information, there are several possibilities that come to mind that could cause her distended abdomen:

1) Worsening heart disease leading to right sided congestive heart failure that causes fluid build up in the belly

2) Cushing's disease (here is a link to information on this disease: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1193 )

3) Cancer in the abdomen (on the spleen, liver, or intestines)

4) Back pain leading to tensing of the abdomen to protect the back

5) mild pancreatitis leading to abdominal pain

To make the diagnosis, your vet will need to examine Cleo again. There are blood tests for Cushing's and pancreatitis, an abdominal ultrasound can look for right sided heart failure, pancreatitis and abdominal cancer and spine x-rays can be helpful if the orthopedic exam doesn't reveal back pain.

Does this help?

Dr. A

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Cleo this evening? Does her belly still look distended and hard? Did you end up taking her to the vet today?

Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lenora,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cleo. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar