Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My 14 yr old wheaton terrier suddenly started pacing all

Customer Question

my 14 yr old wheaton terrier suddenly started pacing all over my small apartment---I noticed that she had urinated inside first.This has been going on for an hour.I have Xanax in the apartment----should I use it? use it? This is first time this has happened.
Thank yYou
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Tucker. I am happy to help you this evening. She may be pacing because of some stomach upset or because she had to go potty. Could be anxiety also though causing this. It is good to give her the carprofen just in case she was in pain. You can watch her closely this evening but if she continues to pace then you can try xanax to relax her. The dose is 0.25 mg per 10 lbs of body weight every 8 to 12 hours by mouth. For example a 40 lb dog will need 1 mg every 8 to 12 hours. Hopefully that will make her relax. Then see how she does through the night. If she continues to have issues tomorrow have her checked out to make sure nothing more is going on. Hopefully she will settle down and be back to normal.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!