How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19146
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Pomeranian, ate 1 Stover peanut butter cup and 1 sugar free

Customer Question

Pomeranian, ate 1 Russell Stover peanut butter cup and 1 sugar free dark chocolate pecan delight. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. The dark chocolate could definitely be a problem. Give her 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide 3% to try and induce vomiting. See if you can get her to throw up what she ate.....I will stand by for you...

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Let me know when you have done this....

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Margaret,

Following our phone call ...

Inducing vomiting where chocolate of any sort is concerned is always a wise precaution. However the rule of thumb which I apply is that with dark chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 14 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 4.2 ozs { nearly 3/4 pound } of pure dark chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur.

I am telling you the following just for your information since the amount your dog ate was relatively small.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.