Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Our dog was found dead in our pool on October 12, 2015. I am

Customer Question

Our dog was found dead in our pool on October 12, 2015. I am almost 100% sure that the dog (jack) didn't or couldn't get in the 36" high pool. So you see why I can't stop thinking how he got in there and what he died of exactly
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I wanted to state that the pool water was only about ankle deep maybe a little higher. And how long after a dog has been dead can an autopsy be performed on the dog. Not only do I not know how he got in pool but what he exactly died of
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hello there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Jack. I'm sure that it was quite traumatic to find him there and you must be wondering what happened. I suppose it's possible that he drowned, however it doesn't sound like it was deep enough. Would he have been able to stand in the water with his head above the water? Even if he could stand, if he was there long enough and got exhausted enough that he couldn't stand he could have also succumbed and drowned. It would be reasonably easy to tell if he had drowned if he were examined promptly after dying - within 24 hours or so. Unfortunately after that, it becomes difficult to interpret findings of an autopsy, as the tissues begin to degenerate quickly.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)