Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My yellow lab is whining and has s tail down. It appears as

Customer Question

My yellow lab is whining and has his tail down. It appears as if something is wrong with his tail. I've tried to look but other than seeing a little scabb at the bottom it looks ok. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Turner. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Is he eating and drinking normally? Moving around and acting normal, apart from his tail?

If it is only his tail that is abnormal, if it is just hanging down limply, he may have a case of "limber tail." This is fairly common, can happen in almost any dog but I see it in Labradors most, and is not serious. These dogs suddenly act as if their tail hurts, hold it down without wagging it, and sometimes it seems to happen after a dog has been very active. We don't really know the cause, but the good news is that they get better after a few days.

It might help to give some anti inflammatory medication such as carprofen or meloxicam (prescriptions) but you can try aspirin. A 70 pound dog can take 1/2 to 1 regular aspirin (not Advil or Motrin or Aleve) once to twice daily, with food. If there is any vomiting, do not give any more aspirin.

Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else. I hope he is better soon. Kindly consider rating my answer; you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. Rating my answer is the only way the website knows to credit me for answering your question. Please let me know how he is doing and if I can help with anything else. Rebecca

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He seems to relax more after he has a bowel movement. He is drinking and eating just fine.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Are his bowel movements normal, or soft, or harder than usual?

Good that he is eating. If his tail is hanging straight down, I suspect this is limber tail and he will be back to normal soon.

Here is an article about limber tail: http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/dog-health/dog-diseases-conditions-a-z/limber-tail-syndrome-why-my-dogs-tail-limp

Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Turner. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Turner doing? Can I help answer anything else?

Kindly consider rating my answer; you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. Rating my answer is the only way the website knows to credit me for answering your question. Please do let me know how he is doing. Rebecca