Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog max i s 8 years old, a cross lab with a greyhound we

Customer Question

my dog max i s 8 years old, a cross lab with a greyhound we think, i took him vets last week for annual check up and vaccinations, they say he has a heart murmur, he has since been sick after eating and today is lethargic ( usually very happy almost puppy like)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry to learn Max is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did your vet start him on medication or suggested a cardiac workup?

2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Any coughing?

4- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you
1. No, he just asked us to watch for any changes in behaviour or any coughing
2. Nothing thats is out of the ordinary
3, no
4. look purplish
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, I am not certain if the lethargy and vomiting in Max is related to his heart. You see, a murmur simply means a sound created by the turbulence of blood as it passes through the heart. A murmur can be an indication of an underlying heart disease or secondary to other external factor. Plus, not all dogs with a heart murmur need to be medicated. There are many other possible causes for his symptoms. Common causes are: Infections, dietary indiscretion, kidney or liver disease, etc. to name a few causes. Having purplish gums is a concern because it may be an indication of poor circulation which may or may not be related to his heart.

In this case unfortunately we are very limited with what you can do at home. There is nothing I can recommend for you to try that would have a significant therapeutic benefit in this case. I would highly recommend having Max checked today by a veterinarian to rule out heart disease as a possible cause. In addition, do some testing like blood work and xrays as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter