Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog had an aural hematoma repair procedure I'm afraid s

Customer Question

My dog had an aural hematoma repair procedure I'm afraid his ear won't be pointy.. What are your experiences with this procedure and what odds that his ear will be normal
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. As long as there wasn't any significant scar tissue that had started to form before the surgery was done, then the ear should be back to normal. If done soon enough, the aural hematoma surgeries have I have done have usually turned out normal again. If there was some scar tissue formation already, then it is possible that the scar tissue will cause it to droop some. There are always some exceptions, and nothing is 100%, but there is a good chance his ear will look normal if the procedure was done soon enough. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dog got the hematomia on 10/16 and I got him into the vet on 10/20 (4days later). I just had his stitches removed 11/10. The wound is still open
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

If they did the quilt pattern surgery, the wound is normally left open to granulate closed. That typically leaves very little scar tissue. At 3 weeks post surgery, though, I would expect the incision to be healed or almost healed.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ashley,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Klondike. How is everything going?
Dr. John