Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My puppy is 3 months old and she threw up twice last night

Customer Question

my puppy is 3 months old and she threw up twice last night and she had the runs yesterday. she hasnt eaten today but she did yesterday. she did drink some water this morning. she has been eating rocks. is this serious or is it just the dog flu?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I see you have a young puppy with vomiting and diarrhea. This is always very concerning in a puppy for a few reasons. The first is that when we have a dog so young, it can be very easy for them to become dehydrated with vomiting and diarrhea and this can be life threatening if it gets severe enough. The other reason is that in puppies we worry very much about a disease called Parvo virus. It is a virus that can cause vomiting and diarrhea and can become life threatening very quickly if not treated. Other possibilities common in puppies would be intestinal parasites (very common in young dogs) or getting into something she shouldn't such as garbage/something outside or eating a piece of a toy or other object.

Has your puppy had any vaccines yet? How many has she had? Has she had dewormings?

I would recommend getting her into your vet today so they can assess her hydration, check her stool for parasites, and test her for parvo virus.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Has your pup had vaccines and dewormings yet?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Just checking to see how your pup did today!