Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My poor 7 yr old Keeshond is covered in hot spots. She can't

Customer Question

my poor 7 yr old Keeshond is covered in hot spots. She can't tolerate prednisone. I have used panalog cream in the past, but she has never been such a mess before and I can't locate panolog.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about Zoey. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

There are other names for Panalog: Entederm and Animax. You may need a prescription from your veterinarian to get these. You can buy cortisone ointment like Cortaid and Cortizone 10 over the counter, and if you combine them with an antibiotic like Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic, you will have something similar to Panalog.

There is a new allergy medication that is helping about 80% of dogs with allergies, without the side effects of prednisone. It is called Apoquel, and you would have to get it from your veterinarian. I start out by only giving a 5 day supply; if it is going to help you will see results that soon.

I know you are probably not seeing any fleas, but up to 80% of dermatitis in dogs is caused by a reaction to a flea bite. A severely allergic dog may react to only one or two fleas on her body, and 2 fleas can easily be overlooked, so I always recommend using a good flea product such as Frontline, Advantage, Nexgard or the Seresto collar on a dog with hot spots.

Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else. Kindly consider rating my answer; you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. Rating my answer is the only way the website knows to credit me for answering your questions. Let me know if I can answer anything else. Rebecca

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have tried apoquel without success. She is also on trifexis so no fleas. The only animax I can seem to find is the ointment, I am looking for the cream, but I am looking to stop the hotspots, not just treat them. Is there anything else you can offer?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to recommend things you already tried. I did not know you had tried Apoquel and are using flea control.

I have not seen Animax or Panalog cream for awhile, only the ointments.

To stop hotspots, you have to identify and treat the underlying condition, which is usually an allergic reaction that leads to a secondary bacterial and sometimes yeast skin infection. Most of the time hotspots are not caused by food allergy but by something in the environment.

You can see a dermatologist for allergy testing, or have your veterinarian do allergy testing to find out what she is reacting to. If those things can be avoided, the hot spots should stop. If they can't be avoided, then hyposensitization (injections) can be tried.

These supplements have helped other allergic dogs in my experience, but unfortunately all allergic dogs are different so no one will help all allergic dogs:

Fish oil, evening primrose oil. Probiotics to boost the immune system. Quercetin. Nettles. Antioxidants. Oatmeal shampoos.

Sometimes hotspots and skin problems reflect underlying internal disease, so blood tests to check for things like liver disease should be done if that has not already been done.

Allergies are so frustrating to treat, because there is no cure yet. Every case is different so what helps one dog does not work for the next one. If you have already tried all these things, seeing a specialist, a veterinary dermatologist would be my next step if Zoey were my own dog.

Let me know how she is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Zoey doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?

Kindly consider rating my answer; you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. Rating my answer is the only way the website knows to credit me for answering your question.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Rebecca