Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have a 15 year old Yorkshire terrier. There is not one

Customer Question

I have a 15 year old Yorkshire terrier. There is not one single flee or any other type of bug on him, yet, he is scratching throughout the night, at one point he scratched a spot on his body completely bald.
It comes and goes, and just started this past year. He also has goo in his eyes. Do you have any idea as to what this could be and how to treat it!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I am so sorry Scrappy is this itchy. This is good if we can rule out fleas as a possible cause (I assume you have him on a monthly effective product; if not then we may not be able to entirely rule it off the list because sometimes they can be there but a dog will eat a flea before we find it). Aside from fleas the top issue to cause this is an underlying allergy, and this time of the year and environmental allergy (atopic dermatitis) is very common. I have been seeing a tremendous number of dermatologic issues in the past 14 days. What happens is the underlying allergy causes the skin to become inflamed, then a secondary infection sets in (bacterial, fungal or mites) which makes him super itchy. The ocular drainage would correlate with atopic dermatitis as it irritates the eyes too. The poor dogs are so miserably itchy.

The quickest way to get him better would be to see his veterinarian today. Prescription medication will get him through this the fastest (I cannot prescribe anything as this would require I actually see/touch him for this). Your vet can also do a skin scraping to know if this is bacteria/yeast/mites causing the secondary infection.

But, I can make a few hints you can try at home until you can have him seen to help improve his comfort. If he was my patient and you could not get him in today then I might recommend you try:

1)Give an antihistamine such as (choose one): Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg at 1 mg per 10 pounds every 12 hours OR Claritin OTC (if less than 25 lbs give ½ tablet every 24 hours)

2)Bathe in a good antibacterial shampoo such as Selsun Blue (original) every 3 to 7 days. When you bathe, lather and let stand in contact with skin for 5-10 minutes before rinsing thoroughly

3)Start on a fish oil supplement (this is anti-inflammatory over about 4-6 weeks)

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paula,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Scrappy. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey