Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Dog with a rash ever since he injested part of skunk has been

Customer Question

dog with a rash ever since he injested part of skunk has been on antibiotics and prednisone 2x were lost on what to do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.This poor dog! Did he get sprayed by the skunk or did he just ingest it? I ask because if he only ingested/ate part of it but didn't get sprayed, then the rash may be unrelated to the skunk. In that case, he really needs a recheck with his veterinarian for a skin scraping to know if perhaps this is not a bacterial infection, but instead might be a yeast infection or skin mites. Easy to diagnose and treat, if found.On the other hand, if he did get sprayed by the skunk, then this irritation could be from the spray. Skunk spray, unfortunately, has a lot of volatile irritants in it. The steroid is a good option; perhaps the dose needs to be changed or a different anti-inflammatory tried. If there is severe dermatitis (erosive/ulcerative lesion) then sometimes topical silver sulfdiazine in the affected areas helps. You may also if the skin lesions are severe have your veterinarian culture this to look for a resistant bacterial infection. And, also do a scraping to confirm this is actually bacterial and not yeast or mites. I am positive you have already bathed, but as long as the smell lingers, there may still be chemicals in the hair, but this is a highly resistant product to remove. There are many recipes out there to remove this.As well, some dogs have a terrible reaction topically to the products we used to remove the skunk spray. I have seen this before. It may also be worthwhile to change whatever shampoo you are using; perhaps the one you are using is too severe on the skin. There are some natural products we can use to remove the odor. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.