Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

Recently adopted a pitt mix he is having some weird

Customer Question

recently adopted a pitt bull mix he is having some weird breathing issues its almost like a snort he doesn't do it all the time when he gets excited or cleaning himself then its like a snort/growl type sound just worried to see if its some thing I need to have checked out
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am going to attach a video here of a dog doing what is called a reverse sneeze- can you watch it and tell me if this is similar to what your dog is doing?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXDledRQ7y4

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not even close
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When he first did it I thought he was growling at me
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Lol, ok then. Is there any way you can do a video of the behavior and post it later? I realize you may not be able to right now, but I can check on here later. Is he otherwise breathing normally in between these episodes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
his breathing is fine most other times
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Ok, do you think you may be able to record it at some point and post it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lol not sure how to do that
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a smart phone/ iphone that can record short videos?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

If you do, you can do a short video on there, and then you can follow these directions from this link to post it:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

or email it to***@******.*** to have them load it for you...

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

If you are able to figure that out, I am happy to take a look at a video of the noise. Otherwise, it is really difficult, as you can imagine, for me to evaluate it!!! I can tell you that some dogs do make funny snorting noises that are completely normal for them. Some are just more vocal and have a wider range of noises than others. If he is otherwise normal and not having these episodes when he is just laying there, it may be part of his normal vocalizations. If he is, however, lethargic, having difficulty breathing at other times, has any discharge from his nose, is coughing/sneezing, has a decreased appetite then it could be a sign that something else is going on and he needs an exam.

I hope this helps a little and lets you know things to watch for that would be a sign it may be something of concern!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I first got him he didn't do it now he does
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

How long after you got him did it start?

Does anyone smoke in the house? Do you have a fireplace or wood burning stove? Do you use air fresheners or burn scented candles? Have you recently shampooed your carpeting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just found something on you tube that is close to the sounds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IszRBYxsGI
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Ok, great job finding something that sounds similar! This is the same syndrome I sent you the link for, but in a shorter faced dog it can sound a little more snorty! Here is an article on reverse sneezing:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2335

oftentimes it doesnt require treatment but if it is happening more frequently, you can try a course of antihistamines, such as benadryl or zyrtec (available over the counter) or hydroxyzine (available at your vet). It is possible with the change in seasons it could be allergy induced.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

If it starts to happen with increased frequency or he develops any of the symptoms I mentioned earlier (lethargic, having difficulty breathing at other times, has any discharge from his nose, is coughing/sneezing, has a decreased appetite ), then he should be examined by your vet.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any other questions about your pup and the reverse sneezing?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

If you don't have any other questions about your pup, please take a moment to rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you so much!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay