Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 3 year old border collie can't open s mouth more than

Customer Question

My 3 year old border collie can't open his mouth more than about one inch. This started about 3 days ago. Now his right eye is sort of rolling back in his head. He still has an appetite and I have been feeding him hamburger with rice. He is running a slight temp and is not as active as normal.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Dillon. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I would suspect he could have MMM, masticatory myositis. Not being able to open the mouth very far is seen with this condition. It is an auto immune condition that we do not understand completely. The treatment is giving steroids, like prednisone, and it usually will improve with time and treatment. There is a blood test for this condition.

The eye rolling back in the head is not typical with MMM, however. If this is not MMM, it could be a condition affecting the nerves to his face, which could affect both the muscles of his mouth and his eye.

If he were mine, I would probably try a course of steroids, and would do a good neurologic exam and possibly do the blood test to check for MMM. I might try to see if I could open his mouth when he was sedated; if not then this is probably MMM or a neurologic condition. If I suspected a problem with the nerves to his face, I would probably consult a veterinary neurologist.

Let me know what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see what I sent.

Let me know how he is doing, and if I can help with anything else. Kindly consider rating my answer; you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. Rating my answer is the only way the website knows to credit me for answering your question.