Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our 13 year old black lab has been throwing up the last 4

Customer Question

Our 13 year old black lab has been throwing up the last 4 days. She has been begging to go out so she can eat grass, then throws up grass and tan colored vomit like like looks like sand. Now the color has changed to a darker color. Her stool looked normal when I looked at it. We have been feeding her rice and chicken. We know she is close to her time before this started happening, she has hip displacia really bad and can barely get up. We don't want to pay a lot for testing because of her age but don't want her to suffer. What do you think it could be, do you think her organs are shutting down?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry to learn Chesney is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she currently on any medications?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she takes meloxicam and diflican. We rotate these depending on how she's feeling, we've done this for over three years. She weighs 75 pounds and her only other symptoms that she's acting lethargic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked her stool yesterday and it looked normal. She throws up all times during the day, I came home from work yesterday and there were three or four piles of vomit. There were three or four piles this morning again.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

To make sure I got this right, she is on Diflucan the anti fungal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked my husband and they'd that gd said she's on. Maybe we have the name wrong, it's got pain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that was so messed up, she's in the medication. For pain
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband was confused, we have her on deramaxx and maloxicam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had been in tramadol too. We have four dogs total two older labs that both get medication.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It can get confusing!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. Can it be secondary to her body shutting down as a result of diseases like: Kidney or liver disease, tumors, etc? Yes. But, having a history of being on meloxicam and deramaxxfor 3 years we also have to consider ulceration of the gastrointestinal tract secondary to the medication.

I understand not wanting to incur the expense/cost involved in a patient that may potentially have an incurable disease. But, in order to determine the exact underlying cause Chesney will need to have some testing, at the very least some blood work (CBC & Chemistry profile). It is possible this could be related to the medication and all she needs is a different type of medication.

I would recommend you look into your local ASPCA or shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. Keep her Off deramaxx and meloxicam; do not rotate these medications as this will cause ulceration with ease. She can stay on Tramadol once she is no longer vomiting. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you don't have any idea? I thought you might be able to help knowing her stool us normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We knew we'd have to get tested got things, that's why we contacted you to give us z better idea what we are dealing with. We don't want yo out get through a lot, she already has s hard time getting around.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, supposed to say we don't want to put her through a lot because she already deals with so much with her hips.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not satisfied wit this answer,honestly j can get this information from Google
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like a refund please
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

If you have any question about cost or refund please contact customer service. I will opt out so another expert can help you.