Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a question about medicine combinations. My 7lb

Customer Question

Hi. I have a question about medicine combinations. My 7lb schnauzer mix has be itching incessantly for a couple of days. I had given her an oatmeal bath and given her prednisone because she has several inflamed areas that were making her scratch constantly. I put a tiny bit of clobetasol ointment on two spots, but I didn't even think that these might cause a reaction if combined. Is this okay or should I take her to the vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- How many milligrams of Prednisone are you giving and how often?

3- Is she licking the inflamed area?

4- Was the prednisone indicated by your family veterinarian?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's 7 lbs. I gave her 5 mg of prednisone that was prescribed by her veterinarian for an allergy causing dry skin (usually in Spring). There are a couple of inflamed areas that I'm not sure are being caused by an irritant or her continued scratching/biting at the area. After I put a little bit of clobetasol on 3 spots, I tried to keep her from biting or licking those areas. She's acting fine, but is there some other topical treatment that I should try that isn't so potent?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the use of clobetasol and prednisone together will cause suppression of the natural production of cortisol in the body. So, it is important that you do not stop the prednisone abruptly as her body may be dependent now on this medication for the normal function of her body. I would strongly recommend you stop the clobetasol. Keep her on the prednisone and gradually wean her off it as previously prescribed by family veterinarian. For the sore area this is what you can do:

1- Need to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area or she is going to delay healing and promote an infection. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter