Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 15 pound pug with pancreatitis and newly diagnosed

Customer Question

I have a 15 pound pug with pancreatitis and newly diagnosed diabetes. Humalog sliding scale for a dog this small may be needed ..she is on 2 units of nph bid..her sugar is at 254 what is a sliding scale dose...I have been a diabetic for 40 years I have an insulin pump and have had 3 rounds of pancreatitis. .I know her ketones are moderate in urine so she needs lower sugars...ahe is not vomiting and is eating and drinking well and she has been receiving subcutaneous normal saline.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'm not familiar with a "sliding scale dose" in dogs. Please clarify. Our goal is to keep Bentley's blood sugar in a broad range of 150-250. The general manner in which we proceed is to choose a safe initial dose - often 0.25 units/lb - administer it for 3-5 days and then perform a glucose curve over a period of 12-24 hours. The dose is then adjusted up or down (usually up) as indicated on the curve. This procedure is then repeated at intervals prescribed by Bentley's vet as needed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Michelle,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bentley. How is everything going?