Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Guinea pig(Simba) has a lumpy dried out scalp on the right

Customer Question

Guinea pig(Simba) has a white lumpy dried out scalp on the right side of her back. Hair loss on that area
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has this been present?

Are you seeing one lump or a more diffuse area over her back?

Is she itching/scratching/grooming the area at all?

What are you feeding? Is she getting a Vitamin C supplement?

Does the hair at the edges of area feel rough when you rub them back and forth or soft?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Now I have not heard back from you, but I do want to leave my thoughts about Simba thus far for your return.

Now when we see skin changes and hair loss of this nature, we do have a few concerns. The most common reasons are mite infestations and fungal infections (ie ringworm). Less commonly we can see this related to diet (ie Vitamin C deficiency, inadequate protein or essential fatty acid levels, etc), allergies (often from bedding) and sometimes associated with skin tumors (though rare)

With all these in mind, there are some steps we can take to help narrow these concerns for her. To start, since mites are the most common cause for these signs, we'd be best to treat her with an anti-mite treatment. Ideally, we'd want to use an Ivermectin based (often every 3-4 weeks for a few doses to remove all life stages) ones which can be obtained OTC via your vets and some pet store. Furthermore, we'd want to review her diet and make sure she is being adequately supplemented with Vitamin C and those other components. Finally, we'd also want to consider cleansing this area 2-3 times daily with OTC dilute chlorohexidine (since this can reduce fungal skin infections and is safe for this species). Of course, since ringworm can be contagious, do make sure to wear gloves when handling and do wash your hands afterwards as well.

Overall, we do have a few concerns for these skin changes and associated hair loss. Therefore, we'd want to start with the above to narrow causes. Of course, if these lesions are severe or not settling, then we'd want her vet involved so that a sample can be taken for testing. Depending on the results of that, your vet will be able to use oral/systemic treatment to clear this for her.

I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Simba. How is everything going?
nekovet