How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jess K Your Own Question
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1303
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Jess K is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 40 lb dog just ate half a bag of snickers, what should we

Customer Question

My 40 lb dog just ate half a bag of snickers, what should we do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your problem with Ginger. Do you know how large of a bag it was? How many ounces approximately? Did she eat the wrappers and bag as well? Do you have hydrogen peroxide at home?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

If this has just happened, you can try inducing vomiting with a fresh bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide (this is the kind found at the drug store or grocery store for cleaning wounds, not the stronger type that may be used for dying hair, etc). For a 40lb dog you can give up to 40 ml (this is 8 teaspoons) orally, and if no vomiting occurs, you can repeat this one time.

Without knowing the approximate amount of snickers eaten, it is hard for me to tell you if chocolate toxicity is a concern here. Luckily snickers are usually just coated in milk chocolate, so it is less of an issue than eating say a solid hersheys bar, but there is still some risk. As I said, without any idea of the weight, it is hard for me to tell you if it is a potentially toxic amount. There is a toxicity calculator at http://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity if you do find out the approximate weight of the bag, just realize that they amount of chocolate is going to be less than the total weight of the bag because it is just the coating that is chocolate.

Just the ingestion of any new food can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Chocolate toxicity can also cause racing heart rate and irregular heart beat, restlessness/hyperactivity, twitching/tremors, and seizures. If any of these were to occur, you need to get him to an emergency clinic ASAP. An article on chocolate toxicity is here:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3544

The other concern here is if he ate the bag and the candy bars with the wrappers intact, is the possibility of an obstruction. For this reason, if your dog is having continued vomiting, abdominal pain, or inappetance, then he needs to be seen by your vet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a Halloween candy bag she probably ate 15 bars and part of the wrappers
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Something is going on with the system and I am getting error messages when I post my response- did you get my response about the amount that she ingested being not a toxic dose? Please reply if you did so...

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

If that is the case, online it says funsize candybars are 34 grams in weight for 3 bars. If we assume less than half the bar is chocolate, your dog ingested approximately 4.5 ounces and at 40 lbs this is a dose that will usually just cause mild symptoms such as mild GI upset.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

If you think this is all he ate, you can try just waiting and observing him at home. If he does begin to vomit, you will want to fast him (no food or drink) for 6 to 8 hours. Once he has gone at least 6 hours without vomiting, you can begin to offer small amounts of water or pedialyte every few hours. If he keeps that down, you can begin to offer a tummy friendly diet in small amounts every few hours (i.e. plain white rice and boiled chicken). Here is an article on vomiting and diarrhea home management: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=353

If the vomiting continues, he has abdominal pain, weakness, or he develop signs of toxicity (hyperactivity, trembling, seizures), he needs to be seen ASAP.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service. I wish you best of luck with your pup! And tell her no more snickers!!!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Just following up to see how your pup did after eating the snickers?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ginger. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay