Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My Beagle is swollen all around her vagina area, she is

Customer Question

My Beagle is swollen all around her vagina area, she is extremely clingy, it looks like she has breasts on only 2 of her nipples but she is not bleeding. She is going to be spayed December 3. I am worried because she is so swollen and no blood. She just was in heat in August. I rescued her off of a property in which she was neglected and abused. She had a litter of pups before I rescued her. Please help....
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am very sorry to hear about your girl. I am happy to help you this evening. It sounds very possible that she is in heat again. Some dogs can come into heat more frequent than others. They do not necessarily have to have bleeding either. She could be having a false heat cycle also where it is not a true heat and she doesn't bleed. So these are all good possibilities. But you do want to make sure she doesn't have an infection in her reproductive tract which can be life threatening. If you can take her temperature rectally then that can help. She should be between 100 and 102.5. Anything above is a fever. If she is acting normal, eating and drinking and not lethargic then this is a good sign. But if she is not eating or drinking as much and not feeling well then she needs to be seen by your vet tomorrow. There really is not a lot that can be done at home except monitor her, watch her behavior and take her temperature. If she is not feeling well you do not want to wait as infections can become deadly quickly in her. So if she is not well tomorrow have her seen by your vet to get checked out.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!