Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Is there something over the counter that I can give my dog

Customer Question

Is there something over the counter that I can give my dog besides Terbinafine for her skin problem ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Terbinafine is a systemically-acting antifungal drug. Which skin disorder has been diagnosed in your dog, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our dog has been diagnosed with per the DR. " a Fungal Skin Disorder" originally thought he thought her hot spots were due to yeast build up & or allergies to food even though we have been giving her the same food forever. (rabbit & potato) combined with Brown rice and cooked ground turkey. So with all this in mind,Sorry not really a definitive diagnosis
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hope that made sense

Unless your dog has been proven to harbor a fungal infection or a cytology of the skin has revealed abnormal numbers of yeast (Malassezia) or the pattern of the skin disorder is highly suggestive of yeast, drugs such as terbinafine aren't indicated. My initial choice of drugs for Malassezia infections is the inexpensive ketoconazole dosed at just 5 mg/lb once daily for a month. Simply bathing in shampoos containing ketoconazole, miconazole or selenium sulfide every 2-3 days is often effective for mild cases of yeast. You deserve a more specific diagnosis than "fungal skin disorder". This can be done by taking a methodical history and basic skin testing which should include skin scrapings looking for mites, a cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of the skin surface looking for abnormal numbers of yeast or bacteria), and a fungal culture.

Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that her immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from her vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (a hydrolyzed protein diet is my preference). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the advice.... I see that I can buy the meds over the counter and will try the ketoconazole tabs & shampoo. I appreciate your quick response

You're quite welcome. That sounds good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where can I get this without a rx ??

Ketoconazole is a prescription drug. Her vet would need to prescribe it. I've found the shampoos over the counter. For example: http://www.amazon.com/ketoconazole-shampoo-for-dogs/cp/dk3u4bsccpbw725