Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My 16 year old beagle is vomiting will not eat and he has gh

Customer Question

My 16 year old beagle is vomiting will not eat and he has high blood sugar level 152 and he has kidney damaged He is currently in the hospital
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about Dexter's situation. How long has he been vomiting? Have they taken x-rays on him? Did they give a diagnosis for his situation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For a couple of days now he lost about 5 lbs Yes he has kidney damage and gastric problems He has diarrhea with blood and he is weak They did a ultrasound of his swollen adobmen
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Did they see anything on the ultrasound that is helping guide them in their treatment? Did they have suspicion for pancreatitis? Are they worried about cancer? I'm hoping that they have him at the clinic now on IV fluids and supportive care there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah he does not have cancer or pancreatitis but his kidney is not good. He is on IV fluids and he had to be injected with insulin to stabilize his blood sugar
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Was he a diabetic prior to all this starting up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he was not till now His blood sugar spiked up
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

How long has he been at the clinic on the IV fluids? Has he started to improve on them? What prognosis has your vet given this situation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since yesterday at 6pm he has been with IV Fluids. He has diarrhea with blood He has kidney failure
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Does your vet feel that he's started to improve since being on the IV fluids? Has the nausea stopped or has it continued? Did they feel that the kidney failure was severe?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the nausea has stopped Yeah kidney failure is severe?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

At this point in time with kidney failure, the best thing that can be done is to continue with the IV fluids and supportive care. Watching to see how they clinically respond to this care and then checking improvement on the kindney values at 24 and 48 hours out can then be used to see what response to therapy has been achieved. I know it is hard to have him at the clinic and away from you, but being there is where he's getting the care that hopefully has the chance to get him to the point of getting home for more time with you. The one thing that must be realized is that kidney failure is a tough situation. It indicates that the kidneys aren't working as they should and therapy isn't repairing them. Therapy is trying to help stabilize the patient and to help slow down the progression of the disease.