Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog had bladder surgery 3 weeks a go to remove stones. He

Customer Question

my dog had bladder surgery 3 weeks a go to remove stones. He has since has had a 3 day drip to flush kidneys. Numbers are down to 60. My dag started throwing up white foam yesterday and this morning and will not eat. Im scared.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Can you upload a copy of all of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I believe the 60 refers to his BUN which would indicate a moderate elevation in that test but I can be more accurate for you if I can see all of his test results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know his creatine is at 4.5 his bun was 80 now 60. Everything else was normal. They removed the stone in bladder. They had him on Clavamox then I read that is not for dogs with kidney or Herat disease. I only gave to him Sunday night and Monday morning. Then the throwing up started. I think it's from that. Before any of this he had no symptoms. All started after the surgery. They want to do another 2 day drip. I need Cody my pup to start eating. Not sure they will give me copy's. Can you give a general opinion. Could this be from the antibiotic? Does bladder surgery take this long to recover from?Thank you!

Thank you for the additional information. Once the BUN reaches 80 my patients often become inappetent. It's important to note that a BUN of 60 and creatinine of 4.5 most often indicates that an 11 year old has less than 25% of normal functioning kidney tissue left. Dilute urine and excessive proteinuria (loss of protein in the urine) are additional negative prognostic findings. To answer you directly, yes, Clavamox is known to cause gastrointestinal distress. It isn't contraindicated in kidney or heart disease, however; in fact, it's quite valuable in those body systems. His vomiting should prompt your stopping administration of that antibiotic and consulting with his vet. He has recovered from his bladder surgery. It's his kidneys now that are problematic. We need to see an appreciable (usually halving of the BUN) improvement following 3 days of diuresis to be encouraged that he can return to reasonable function. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He did go lower. From 89 to 60. Kidney stones can also elevate these levels correct.

Yes, but I want to see that 89 lower than 45 post-diuresis. I'm pleased to see that the BUN decreased but you'll need to continue fluids at home in such a patient. You can be shown how to administer subcutaneous fluids at home. If the stones damaged the kidneys, yes, kidney function will suffer and those levels will increase.