Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog had a litter of two pups two days ago...neither pup

Customer Question

My dog had a litter of two pups two days ago...neither pup made it, and now she has a discharge that is dark brown and she is panting all the time
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Gerty. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help

Is she eating and drinking? If you check her gums, do they look a normal pink color, or do they seem pale?

Can you take her temperature at home?

I am worried that she could have another possibly dead puppy inside. If her gums appear pale, if she is not eating, I would get an Xray taken as soon as possible. If a puppy dies inside the uterus, it starts to decompose and that can eventually kill the mother if she is not treated. Another possibility is that she has an infection, and needs antibiotics.

I am pretty worried by your description. It sounds like she needs to be checked out by a veterinarian as soon as you can. Let me know what you find out, and how she is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Gerty doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?