Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

I have a 6 week old rescue that has not eaten since

Customer Question

Hi there.
I have a 6 week old rescue that has not eaten since yesterday His stool has a clear mucous like fluid and he is very lethargic. Sleeping all day. Dog is peeing, drinking water and doing his stool. He is however still eating his treats and I fed him cooked sausage earlier. Any advice on the mucous stool?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I see you are having problems with a very young puppy. Mucous in the stool can be a result of any inflammation in the lower intestinal tract. In a dog this age, we worry very much about intestinal parasites, such as intestinal worms (round worms, whip worms, hook worms), giardia (a protozoal parasite), and coccidia. These are all very common in young dogs, especially from rescue situations. What he needs is to have his stool checked for these by a veterinarian. There isn't an over the counter treatment for the giardia or coccidia, so he really will need to be seen. Any time we have a puppy who is very lethargic and also who may be having diarrhea, we also worry about parvo virus. We often see vomiting with this as well, but sometimes not if it is early in the course of the disease. The other concern is that your pup is so young and is already acting lethargic, he could be dehydrated and need fluids under his skin or intravenously. When they are so young and small it is essential to get them seen before they deteriorate.

Do not give him any more sausage, as this is a food that can be irritating to the intestinal tract. If you want to try to feed him something food for his tummy at home, stick with plain white rice and boiled chicken breast, which will be much easier on his irritated GI tract than sausage will be.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

info on coccidia:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=680

Giardia:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2386

parvo:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=&A=581&SourceID=

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Because of his age, I would highly recommend the puppy be seen, or at least have his stool dropped off for exam (but preferably him too!). If you don't have additional questions, please take a moment to rate our conversation so we can know if you are satisfied with your response. Good luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Leo. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay