Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My yorkie is in labor I think it's the first stage because

Customer Question

My yorkie is in labor I think it's the first stage because she keeps welping every two minutes is there any pain meds I can give her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I see you are worried about your yorkie. I have attached a link to an article here that describes the different stages and normal progression of labor for you:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=678

There are not any safe over the counter pain medications that I would recommend for your pup. The common pain medications, such as ibuprofen or tylenol can have dangerous side effects or be toxic in pets, and aspirin is something you don't want to use in this case because of the pregnancy and also the risk of decreased blood clotting. If you feel your dog is in extreme pain, this is not usual with canine labor and would be a reason to take her to your veterinarian for exam ASAP.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long does the puppy stay in the canal it's been about 20 mins I see something coming out
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, hopefully you looked over the link to the article I sent you last night- normally is can take 10 to 30 minutes of hard straining to push the puppy out, if it is taking longer than this or she is in obvious extreme distress as I mentioned before, things are not going smoothly and she needs to be seen by a vet. How did she do overnight?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mamma. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay