Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My dog has weakness in extremities and falls over when she

Customer Question

My dog has weakness in extremities and falls over when she tries to eat. It seems like she becomes unresponsive foe about 10 seconds. She is a 10 year old dachsund
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog is having these episodes. Based on your history, I would wonder about two different problems that Lilly is having.

The first is syncope. This is when the dog "faints" because of heart problems. This can potentially be fatal so an exam and an EKG is very important.

The next possible cause would be seizures. These can induced by the excitement of eating. Again, an exam by your vet is key to making this diagnosis.

They will likely recommend blood work, possibly x-rays, and an EKG to determine what is going on with Lilly. These conditions are both treatable so I would strongly recommend taking her to your vet.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Lilly this evening? Any more weakness and fainting episodes? Were you able to take her to your regular vet today? Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda