Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My elderly dog, Champ hasnt eaten since Friday morning. I

Customer Question

Hello. My elderly dog, Champ hasnt eaten since Friday morning. I took him to the vet yesterday, and his bloodwork showed his white blood count was high, other then that his blood work was fine. I am very worried. I am not sure what to do. Please give me some advice. Thanks, Andrea
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Champ's situation. Did they start up any treatments? Did they do x-rays? Did they have any concerns as to what was going on?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear Champ is not eating well and has a high white cell count. The elevated white cell count can be a reactive response (the body reacting to something in the body causing an elevation), related to infection, or even a leukemia but typically these values are much much higher

I definitely agree with Dr. Bruce that further workup is necessary to determine the cause of Champ's reduced appetite. If there is intestinal disease (inflammatory bowel disease, lymphoma, lymphangiectasia to name a few) then bloodwork can be perfectly normal and this requires further diagnostics

X-rays can be helpful in these situations but often abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the thickness of the stomach and intestinal tract, whether lymph nodes are enlarged are helpful in ruling out possible causes. Unfortunately in some situations endoscopy or a camera down the throat to take biopsies of the intestinal tract to rule out causes is necessary to determine why Champ has a reduced appetite.

In the meanwhile talking to your vet about starting him on anti nausea medications such as cerenia, an antacid such as pepcid, and a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken can hopefully entice his appetite until a more comprehensive diagnostic workup can be pursued (often at a specialty practice). If no interest in the white rice and boiled chicken the next alternative that has moderate success is jarred baby foods (meat variety) in hopes of getting him eating but if there is nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass, sometimes no appetite is the only sign) then discussing medication is the first step in getting him eating again

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight. I am online another 30 minutes if I can clarify anything or assist in any other way...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like I can opt out and see if there is another veterinarian that can make calls.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still very concerned. It is not like him to be disinterested in food. I tried to give him some beef broth, but he still would not eat.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I do understand your concern about his not eating and that is why medications are helpful in reducing symptoms of nausea which often result in the decreased appetite but further diagnostics are needed to get an answer to why he is not eating and what is necessary to get him feeling better

It is terribly concerning he is not eating, we need to initially treat his symptoms and also learn why he is not eating to get him feeling better

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Does this information make sense? I certainly don't want to confuse you further and am hoping my recommendations help you understand how best to help Champ

I am online another 15 minutes and want to make sure you have no other questions

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!