Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

I have a 1 year old chichuahua, she is 3 pounds, she has

Customer Question

I have a 1 year old chichuahua, she is 3 pounds, she has been fine all day, and about 4 she was jumping off the couch barking at someone at the door then 2 mins later when my 14 year old bent down to pet her she yelped, then a few mins later we tried to pick her up she helped again. Now she is just laying down shaking. We picked her up and she can walk just has her tail between her legs and her head kinda held downward. She was laying on me and when she stood up she yelped again. What could be wrong
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am very sorry to hear about Pixie. I am happy to help you this evening. Without examining her it is impossible to tell what is going on but from your history it is most likely that she has injured or tweaked her back while she was jumping off the couch. They easily can do this when they jump off just the wrong way. The best thing to do is to let her rest. Do not let her run, jump, or play for the next few days. If she is still painful tomorrow have her seen by your vet. They will make sure nothing more is going on and give pain medications to help her feel better. She is so small that there is nothing safe over the counter to give her for pain. Keeping her calm and quiet is the best thing to do tonight and let her sleep it off.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!