Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My pit ate some tomcat rat poison what do I need to do to

Customer Question

My pit bull ate some tomcat rat poison what do I need to do to help him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dee,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How long ago did Sassy eat the poison { minutes or hours ago } ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 7 hours ago

Hello again Dee and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Unfortunately it is now too late to try any home remedies such as inducing vomiting to recover this rat poison, this should be done within the first hour after ingestion. Sadly there is now nothing you can do on a home remedy basis which might help. These products can be very toxic to dogs ...

2. However there are effective antidotes to the more common types of rat poison which there is still time to administer, so the best advice is to get Sassy to a vet without delay and take the rat poison packaging with you.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay that u so much

No problem very glad to have advised you. I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if Sassy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Dee,

I am just checking back in to see how Sassy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the rat poison incident ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.