Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I adopted an 8 yr old blind dog two months ago. She pees all

Customer Question

I adopted an 8 yr old blind dog two months ago. She pees all over my living room. I took her to my vet and he gave me pills for her bladder and for her peeing. They dont work. I mopped it up twice today. I took up all of my rugs and even painted my LR floor. What should i do. Have her put down?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Annie is having inappropriate urination. It is NOT time to euthanize her just because she is having trouble holding her bladder.

First, did your regular vet perform a urinalysis to see if she has a bladder infection or potentially diabetes?

Second, did they do blood work to ensure that she doesn't have kidney disease, diabetes or Cushings?

All of these problems can make it very difficult for a dog to hold their bladder because they are making so much urine. All but the kidney disease are very treatable and treatment can greatly reduce the amount of urine the dog produces.

Next, what pills did your regular vet send home to help her control her bladder? Proin (phenylpropanolamine) is often the first choice that is sent home for incontinence but it only works about 75% of the time. This drug increases muscle tone to the urethra. If this doesn't work, we move up to estrogen supplementation. Estrogen increases the tone of the urethra much more than the Proin does. There are two different types on the market- Incurin and D.E.S.

If her blood work was completely normal and the urinalysis was clear, I would recommend trying the Incurin first. It also takes about 2-3 weeks to really start working well, so you have to be a bit patient with it.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Annie this evening? Were you able to talk to her regular vet about the possible causes of excessive urination? Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda