Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My rescue pug, fell into frog pond yesterday, and in the

Customer Question

My rescue pug, fell into frog pond yesterday, and in the summer it
had been treated with 4 tab of algaecide. Today, the 9 yo pug is sick with junky sounding lungs, lethargic, and taken to the vet, where he started
bruising instantly.
What can we do? they want the packaging and it's gone, it was in the pond 6 inches deep for the summer months and fall. is this poison?
help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Common algaecides contain either copper or benzalkonium chloride. I would find it very unlikely that those tablets placed in the pond during the summer would be responsible for his bruising. This usually results from thrombocytopenia (low blood platelets) which can be idiopathic (unknown cause) or seen with tick-borne infections and autoimmune blood disorders. An anticogulant rodenticide poisoning is also a concern. A diagnostic coagulation profile is essential for such a patient. I would be pleased to review any test results you could upload to our conversation. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pug had cosolidation in lung. On steroids antobiotics. Labs good. Just found your response now. I was looking online in my email. Sorry
You were correct in you answer. Platelets were 6k now. 600 000 think you again Lynn zawojski

I appreciate your letting me know, Lynn. I hope that he's responding nicely to therapy. There was a nice bump in his platelet count!