Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My dog was attacked by another dog a month ago and has been

Customer Question

my dog was attacked by another dog a month ago and has been moaning,tossing and turning at night and is very clingy. He used to be very perky, but now when we take him for a walk he rolls over on his back and starts crying. What should we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr RB and I am a small animal veterinarian. Poor Hercules.... Being excessively clingy with owners can indicate a physical cause (e.g. not feeling well) or an emotional one. Did he receive any external injury or trauma from this dog fight that required veterinary care? If so, I would rule out any source of pain or discomfort that he may be still be having.

If no injuries were sustained and otherwise he is normal in term of appetite, etc, then the cause is most likely psychological/emotional in which he has associated the incidence in his mind as being traumatic and has not formed a separation anxiety with you, his protector.

Nevertheless, he may need a thorough exam with your regular DVM to rule out a physical cause and/or prescribe you an anti-anxiety/anti-depressant medication to help Hercules through this difficult time.

I hope this is helpful to you:)

Hello again, I hope Hercules is feeling better..If my advice helped, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks