Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have kelpie cross cattle dog she's about 6yo but first

Customer Question

Hi i have kelpie cross cattle dog she's about 6yo but for the first time in 4yrs she's got the really bad skin irritation around back tail and uderbody area can you please advise me on what I can do to help stop this i beleive its a common problem
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Milly. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

This is a common problem, but can be caused by many different things. The treatment depends on what is causing the skin irritation.

Is Milly being treated for fleas? Breaking out around the tail is common in dogs that have developed an allergy to flea bites. Even if you do not see any fleas, I would start by putting some Frontline or Advantage on her.

Infected or impacted anal glands can make a dog's skin break out around the tail. The treatment is having the glands emptied and antibiotics if there is infection.

Allergies to things in the environment is another possible cause. We have no cure for allergies, but prescription drugs like Apoquel, steroids or cyclosporine may help; over the counter antihistamines may help, and supplements like quercetin, nettles and fish oil may help.

This could be a skin infection that requires antibiotics.

Another less likely cause of skin irritation is "mange" which is caused by tiny mites living in the hair follicles. A product called Revolution kills both fleas and some types (but not all) mites.

If this were my own dog, I would begin with a good physical exam, check the anal glands, and take some scrapings of the skin to look for infection and mites. In any dog that has a skin irritation around the tail, I would use a good flea product even if no fleas were seen. The dogs that are the most allergic can react to just a couple of flea bites, and it is impossible to find 2 fleas on a whole dog.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Millie? Can I help with or answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jason,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Milly. How is everything going?