Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My short-haired mixed breed terrier I have discovered a

Customer Question

My short-haired mixed breed terrier I have discovered a round hole that is hard on the outside in the middle its losing blood I thought it might be a chick down in there at first but I don't know what it is it just keeps losing but it doesn't nothing really comes out the blood and it just gets harder and bigger
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Lori has an open wound. Based on your history, I wonder if your dog has a cuterebra. These are fly larva that live under the skin in dogs, cats, horses, cattle and other animals. The female fly lays her egg on the dog and it hatches and the larva buries under the skin and lives there eating sebum and pus that drains from the skin. They will make a little "blow hole" in the skin and if you look closely you can often see the larva moving under the skin and its little antennae peaking out.

The following is a link to more information on Cuterebra:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2388

You can also google search cuterebra and find numerous images of the larva in animals skin.

The treatment is removal of the larva from the skin, but it must be dome carefully. I usually use a small scapel blade to open the hole a little more and press from the under side and pop them out like a zit. You can also leave it alone and the adult fly will come out on its own when mature.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your dog this evening? Did you find the parasite under his skin?

Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda