Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our 12 1/2 year old CKCS just underwent gall bladder surgery

Customer Question

Our 12 1/2 year old CKCS just underwent gall bladder surgery and required a partial lobe of liver removal. The gall bladder showed a mucocel. (Sp) He also has syringohydromyelia and MVD. He is such a little tough guy and such a fighter. He has always received wonderful care and receives enalapril ano limo ending for heart, plus a little lasix. He gets gabapentin and ursodial and denamarin as well. He initially presented with liver failure, work up was done and plan for surgery followed. He really has received wonderful care. Unfortunately 10 days post he developed swelling in abdomen and subsequent high fever. All blood work had improved re: liver enzymes... But now his WBC was sky high. He was hospitalized again and now we are told he has MRSA.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am concerned about managing HA mrsa in our home and our risk. This is a first... He had suffered in the past with a few ear yeast infections... But Side from anal gland surgery a few years ago, his conditions weren't infectious. He had to remain in ICU for over a week, and he was given Baytril for a period of time. How do you think he contracted Mrsa. So unfortunate because he was doing great.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In any event thank you! The hospital told me when they were culturing his swelling that this was a possibility and sadly it now is a fact. I love this dog, want him to clear. I thought that dogs usually did not colonize
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear your dog has been through so much and now has this infection! I am not seeing any responses on the expert side, has someone assisted you and it is simply not posting to live chat?

I just want to clarify before I attempt to assist in answering your questions...

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am going to be exiting for the night and apologize if you have not gotten any responses to your satisfaction tonight. I just am not sure if I am simply not seeing an expert conversation or no one has assisted you?

I will be back in the morning to see if you have responded, below is a link from the CDC on cleaning after MRSA exposure in the household:

http://www.cdc.gov/mrsa/community/enviroment/