Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

OMG thank you so much. I have a large breed dog, sometimes

Customer Question

OMG thank you so much. I have a large breed dog, sometimes refered to as a Kata Hula. She got up this morning to go out side and then just started screaming and shaking. I thought something was in her paws. The front ones are fine I cant touch her back ro her back legs. She walked ok but will not leave the house now to go to the bathroom. Want to know if I can giver her a pain med in the morningt to get her to the vet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Caroline,

Sorry to here Hookie is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. If symptoms continue then getting her to the vet tomorrow is your best course of action, in the meantime you really only have one reasonably safe option in terms of human over the counter pain relief meds, this being aspirin.

2. Aspirin is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds such as Tylenol { acetaminophen } or ibuprofen for example, all of which should be avoided because of many reports of side effects and toxicity issues in the dog.

3. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hookie. How is everything going?